Wednesday, March 4, 2009

20 miles

I think I went 20 miles anyway. I ran more for time. It's been ridiculously beautiful here the last couple weeks. This morning as I passed the bank at 6:45 it was 42 degrees. So I took advantage and started my run outside. I think I ran 10.6 miles outside and then ran into the YMCA onto a treadmill and ran 9.4 more. I'm sure of the 9.4. I stared at every tenth of a mile as it passed by. I did the last 9.4 miles in an average of 8:06 minute miles. I think I did about 8:30 minute miles outside. Which means the run averaged about 8:20 for the 20 miles. I'm unsure about outside because I felt like I was going slow, but not 8:30 slow, and my time - 1:31 - I thought I'd be more like 11, at least. So how accurate is google maps for a runner? And why do I care? Because those last 5 miles are all mental and I didn't want to go 1 step more then I had to.

So there it is. 20 miles in about 8:20 pace and I think the run was about 2 hrs and 48 minutes. 2 minutes slower then last time. But half was outside and I forget how hilly of an area I live in until I'm running. I'm hoping I can knock my pace down to 8 minute miles for the whole marathon.

I ate sports beans at an hour and power gel stuff at 2 hours. And drank 20 oz of water and 10 of gatorade. Couldn't weigh myself first so I'm not sure if I lost less weight. I weighed myself after so I'm hoping I lost less. I felt WAY better then last week when I only did 16. I did that quite a bit faster. Running outside slowed me down, I guess, but it was so much happier. Which matters. But I have to convince myself it's more important then the pace. I'm crazy. I can't wait for this to be over. Note to me:If you're reading this considering doing another marathon. Don't. It's annoying.

2 comments:

emily said...

ha. i've done one marathon and won't do another one. ever. not because of the marathon itself - i loved that. but the training was hard and time-consuming.

you're amazing, though! 8 min. miles x 20 miles - that would never happen with me. not even close.

so when's the marathon?

Tamzen Fleming said...

Funny. You are amazing. I feel tired just reading about it.