Saturday, March 28, 2009

Half Marathon




The race in Moab went relatively well. I took the very first set of buses to the start line and was lucky enough to find Emily from nursing school on the bus and was able to spend the 2 1/2 hour wait time with her catching up. I lined myself up with the 7:30 pace group and off we went. I bought a GPS watch and looked down to realize I was going a 6:15 mile. Way too fast. So I slowed way down and did the first 6 miles in 45 minutes. Then about 6 1/2 miles I crashed. I was thirsty and hot. I slowed way down and finished the race in 1:43. About a 7:50 pace. Not bad considering I did the last mile in 8:40. Extremely slow. My GPS watch said I ran 13.2 miles. I wonder if that was all the swerving back and forth on the road? And I burned 156o calories it said. Wow. Anyway, I feel okay about it since I did a hard training run the Tuesday and Thursday before the race. But it made me nervous for the Marathon and to go twice the distance. I also had expected Moab to be downhill. Not so. At all. It drops 77 feet in 13 miles. Not downhill. And there was quite a bit of uphill. So I have been training on hills all week this week hoping it will make a difference for Salt Lake. I sure hope so. Overall I enjoyed running Moab. I will sign up again for next year. I want to try the 5 miles again. I ended up placing 22nd in my age group and 95 overall for women. Not bad considering there were over 2500 women running and over 600 in my age group.

I did leave Moab feeling a little bit like a bad local bar band compared to U2. I need therapy, I think. The kids did great waiting for me and cheering my on. We lost Justin at the finish line, which was extremely scary. My mom found him at the lost kids booth. A nice lady turned him in. He was off in Moab. He didn't sleep at all since we were 6 of us crammed into two double beds. I took him to the doctor when we got home to find out he had a bad ear infection. Poor kid. Sick and lost on his birthday, which he spent watching me run. He told me on the drive home, "Can I still have a lightning party even though I already had my birthday?" Broke my heart. Of course we did. It was awesome.

4 comments:

Erin and Vance said...

That is awesome! I'm so impressed w/ you. I was running pretty consistently a couple years ago. Then I had surgery w/ a long recovery time. I haven't run since. You're on the way to motivating me to start again! Thanks! Good job!

emily said...

again, it was so, so, so great to visit with you.

you still ended up with an awesome time. i'm totally impressed.

i'm also impressed that you'll do it again. the half, or just the 5-miler? i think i'm done with moab - my first and last. i just don't like starting at 10am. and dropping only 77 feet overall.

anyways, enough.

you look totally fabulous at the end of your run. i wish i looked that good at the beginning on my run. :)

good luck with the marathon - you'll do great. i honestly know it.

Cassie said...

You look fantastic Michelle! Way to go on the half marathon! That is a really great time!

Tamzen Fleming said...

Good job Michelle! Sometimes kids get lost. It just happens. Sometimes it's their birthday. It does stink that those two things happened on the same day, but what can you do! ;)