Saturday, May 2, 2009

26.2




This is my running log. You may feel like you ran 26.2 if you make it through all of this rambling...
Miles that is. I ran 26.2 miles. I do like crazy (see older posts). It was awesome. We started out early early so that my dad, sister, and nephew could get to the 6 am bike start. They biked the marathon course. Then I waited with my brother in law who was running the half marathon for the 7 am start. I realized right before the race started that my chip had fallen off already so I had to hurry and change my bib and chip and made it to the start line as they started counting down to the start. And we were off! I felt so great. I ran past Hans on the first two pictures at mile 15 feeling amazing. I was at a little faster then an 8 minute mile average. I ran the first half of the marathon faster then I ran the Moab half marathon or Maui half marathon. I was feeling THAT good. So nice. Then at mile 21, which you see above, I hit a wall. I've run my fair share of halfs. I thought I had the hit the proverbial wall before. Not so much. I smashed into that wall at mile 21. I felt like I was running through water. So strange. I felt like I was running so slowly. Painfully slowly, but when the mile markers passed I realized I was only at a 9 minute mile. I was so happy to see Hans at mile 21 and ditch the fuel belt. It was freeing. I did start hyperventilating, but worked it out. Miles 21 to 25 were mostly uphill with one big hill. But when I hit mile 25 I was able to sprint it out. I saw Hans' parents during that last mile, which was fun and the crowds were cheering as I ran through gateway, which was an adrenaline push as well. My mom was at the finish and so was Hans. I was grateful to have my mom's sweater at the finish since I'd thrown all my layers off along the course. I missed my goal by 33 seconds. I'm not as upset as I would have thought for how competetive I am. At mile 21 I had a realization that if I just finished running, that was an accomplishment in itself. I'm just so time/pace oriented. So I ended at 3:41:33. So I guessed I missed Boston by 34 seconds. I had mixed feelings about it - Grateful to not have to run Boston next April mainly, but disappointed too. If I had known how close I was I could have pulled it off. So I may run one more that is not so hilly and see how I do. Except now I am limping around. I'm not sure it is worth it. I did have a runners high for so long. I felt like I could do anything. It is an amazing feeling. Go for a run! You'll see what I mean. The only frustrating thing about the course was the crazy amount of half marathoners and the way the course was mapped out. They had the full marathon course merge back in with the half at mile 6 and they were at their mile 5, which meant I was suddenly trying to weave through the slower half marathoners. And there were a lot of them. I couldn't believe the amount of people. I love the energy of that. I am totally pleased with myself about the marathon. I feel legit as a runner. I am trying to figure out how to get back into running now. I tried running last week, which was dumb. My body just wants to sleep and eat. I ran a 5 mile race today in Garden of the Gods with Melanie and my knee gave out several times. I think it's ITB. I need to take a rest, but I love being in marathon shape. I'm just not sure how long I can maintain it. Now I am onto the next race on labor day. My goal is to take at least second place. Lofty goals.

8 comments:

emily said...

like i say a million times to you - you are amazing. job VERY well done. and, yes, you are a legit runner. i still don't classify myself as a runner, tho i've been running for years. my body just ain't made for speed. :)

you should check out the logan marathon if you want a downhill one. i think it was pretty much downhill. it's the one and ONLY marathon i'll do. but i did love it and it was beeeautiful. the only problem is that it is (at least was) in September and that meant heavy training in the hot summer. but it worked.

anyways, sorry. good job again and again! and good luck for your next races.

Cassie said...

Too funny-I think we were checking out eachothers blogs at the same time!! Love all your posts and way to go on the marathon! Your time was awesome-my hubby's family are all big marathon runners too!
GOod call on getting your daughter tubes-it was the best thing we ever did for Katie!

Unknown said...

Michelle, I am so proud of you! Congratulations! I admire your strength and ambitions IMMENSELY!

After a long and weighty struggle, I am finally in running shape and am getting ready to run the Ogden 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks. During a run yesterday, I had to stop because of a knee thingy. So I have decided to stay away from running til race day and hope for the best. My goal is to come in under 2 hours. That would be good for me. I can't imagine running 26.2 in 3:41:33. You are awesome. I think after this 1/2 I will work on continuing to get my pace faster and am considering training for a triathlon next. A little less hip / knee impact... does that interest you at all? Only 29 and already watching out for the joints... so sad.

I want to come visit you! Is there a time this summer I could take a weekend trip out? I need to see my friend!

A huge congratulations again. Have to be honest... I thought for sure another pregnancy would thwart your goal. Glad to see you stuck it out! You are indeed a bona fide runner. You have been for a looong time.

Erynn

Berly said...

CONGRATS AGAIN MICHELLE!! Yay - now on to the 1/2 on Labor day, but take a break. Relax - if you can!!

Colleen said...

Congratulations, Michelle! That is an amazing time and it sounds like an incredible experience. I am glad you are feeling so great about it all, you should be so proud of yourself! Awesome!

Mrs. Godfrey said...

Michelle--you always inspire me with your running! Keep it up!

Cher said...

On my hardest days or when something seems impossible, I just tell myself "you ran a marathon, you can do this!" and it works wonders. Now you can say it too! yay for you!

Give your body a break, love. It needs it. Then run another marathon on a flat, fast course and go to Boston. Live out my dream for me will ya? xoxo

Justin & Erin Linton Family said...

Hey, its been a while, fun to find your blog. You know, I used to run with you, now I don't know if I could bike what you run... WAY TO GO!!! I am still running a little, but nothing like that. You have major goals. Keep it up! :)
Erin Linton