Thursday, February 12, 2009

Adjusting

This week has been crazy. We got home early early Sunday morning, rushed to church with soaking wet hair and came home. We hadn't slept the night before and we were both incredibly sore from running and the kids just wanted to talk to us and be with us. Then we went to Melanie's for dinner to see my mom who came to help Melanie with the kids for the weekend. Monday we were crazy trying to unpack everyone and collect everything from the 3 houses the kids were at. Then I made dinner for Melanie and my mom. Tuesday we made 34 valentines. We made pink and red play dough in huge batches and cut out hearts to put in bags with tags that said who they were from and what it was. The kids had a great time. We also made cookies to take to gymnastics and school for Katelyn's birthday. Wednesday we decorated the house for the party, made cupcakes and finished planning the party. And I ran 20 miles. I'm on week 8 of my 16 week marathon training plan. It actually felt okay. It took me 2 hrs and 46 minutes. It was about an 8:19 per mile average. Kind of slow for me, but I'm not too sore and I actually felt better in my tummy after then I did after the half in Maui, but I was running slower for this and it wasn't nearly so hilly, hot, and humid. I did lose a toenail and get a blood blister inside of my old blister that used to have another blood blister in it. That's what bugged me. I couldn't fall asleep last night because my toe was throbbing. Then today we had birthday pancakes and presents, gymnastics for Kate, then straight to school for her, then straight to a valentine's party for Kate and Justin, then rushed home to meet Ashley from school and wait for the kids for Kate's party from 4-6:30. We had 16 kids. Quite crazy, but they are all such great kids. I feel blessed to live in a neighborhood with wonderful friends for Kate. Now we finished cleaning up and are tucking kids in. I still can't fall asleep before midnight even though I'm up at 6. Still fighting jet lag. I feel so groggy in the morning. My other exciting news is that Hans bought me a new phone as a surprise last night. It's awesome. I love it. I'm hoping it prevents me from totally spacing things and standing people up like I've been known to do. It's so not who I ever have been, but last time it happaned I decided I should probably just admit it is who I am right now. Sad to do that, though.

It's been tough to adjust back to real life even with a busy week like this. I'm starting to feel more normal as of this morning. Monday and Tuesday I was pretty pathetic. Maybe cause it was my birthday and I'm now 30? Who knows. I felt a little like I should not be dealing with the same issues in my head I was at 20. Maybe I realize I may still be crazy at 40, etc. I also realize how much time Hans and I don't actually talk about anything but business and logistics. You pick that up, don't forget that, I'll do this, etc. Because when we are together, we are being mobbed by small people. And I got used to talking to adults all day in Hawaii. It's weird going back to kid conversation and just business meetings with Hans at night. That and needing to stare at the TV just to let the buzzing stop in my head.

I am able to hold and love the kids more. I did miss them. I do appreciate them. But I could go back to Maui tomorrow. Anyone want the kids for another week?!

4 comments:

emily said...

michell you are super-woman. seriously, no joke. maybe super-crazy woman, too. :)

Tamzen Fleming said...

Sounds Crazy! Glad you're home!

Tamzen Fleming said...

By the way, we love the playdough. What a great idea. You are amazing!

Berly said...

Love it Michelle. Just go on vacation more often. Go for a short weekend with Hans - leave Ahsley with me or whoever- you deserve it!!