Saturday, October 3, 2009

Yoga and Celiac Disease

Yoga and Celiac disease have been on my mind CONSTANTLY since last Thursday. I went to the GI doctor for yet another consult thinking it couldn't hurt since I'd already met my deductible. I was feeling so frustrated that my stomach still hurts, 10 years later, with no hope of relief. To my surprise, the GI lady pulls out my pathology report on my small intestine, which shows "lymphocytosis at the villous tips" meaning the strong possibility of gluten-sensitive enteropathy, which is celiac disease. Apparently they didn't tell me this after my endoscopy because I never came back in for my consult. So now I know. So I immediately went gluten-free and I feel oh so much better. It's crazy how much better I feel, actually. I have more energy, my stomach doesn't hurt, and I don't have to always know right where a bathroom is. It's going to change my life. I actually sleep through the night without a bathroom trip. I'm loving it. The only trouble now is figuring out what is and isn't gluten-free. I accidentally ate some gluten in a dinner I made that I spent an hour reading about to make sure was gluten free. Turns out "dextrin" in my turkey burger that I thought was 100 percent ground turkey has gluten in it. I paid big time. I was up all night long in total pain. It's more miserable now that I don't eat it. My reaction was terrible confirming to me that I definately will be eating gluten-free for the rest of my life. They took my blood for genetic markers, which will undoubtedly turn up positive since I have a cousin, my great grandma, and my dad's cousin with it. It also means that my kids need to be screened. Hans is convinced Katelyn and Mia have it, but not the others so we are starting Katelyn gluten-free tomorrow morning for a week and then giving her a little gluten to see if she reacts like I did. I'm sure she will and so excited for her to not be in pain all the time too. Hooray! I now get to add Whole Foods to my list of places to shop, which is annoying, but I don't trust myself to eat anything that isn't labeled as gluten-free after reacting. It was so miserable. Even eating at PF Changs last night off their gluten-free menu I had to ask the waiter at least 5 times if he was sure it was gluten-free. I have anxiety over eating because of how it could make me feel. I think labeled gluten-free stuff will lower the stress until I figure it out. So that is that. I'm a celiac. How exciting.

And now to Yoga. I'm in love. I decided at the last minute to sign up to do yoga teacher training at CorePower. It's extremely time-intensive, but so far I love it. It's challenging and out of my comfort zone so I think it's so good for me. I am doing a 200 hour certification course that will allow me to teach anywhere. It's a lot of hours over the next 8 weeks. 7 weeks to go. I feel more confident already and I love learning about yoga philosophy and history. It's great to do yoga 5-6 times a week and I feel like I am gaining a lot. I decided to give up running for the next 7 weeks because it was too much to do both the last week. I'm nervous for my mind to give it up. We'll see how long it lasts.

So it's been busy. My parents came to visit this weekend, which has been great as well. The weather is beautiful. We spent yesterday in Manitou and today doing conference, soccer, and yoga (5 hours for me this afternoon). The kids are doing so well. They are happy and we are enjoying them. It's strange and sad and wonderful to have them grow up. It's easier and busier. I'm focusing on simplifying. But it's easier to imagine simplifying then to actually do it. I started volunteering in the girls' classrooms weekly, which is a great use of time and energy. We are excited about Halloween and Mia's party this week and beautiful fall weather. My baby turns 2 this week. She is a whopping 21 pounds fully clothed with shoes on at the Drs office. She gets to do all sorts of testing for her delays so that should be interesting. I'll post on her more this next week!!

I need to blog more often so I don't forget all the cute stuff they do and the things we do. So there you have it.

9 comments:

emily said...

oh i'm so happy for you. also kind of bummer b/c i'm sure being a celiac isn't totally great. but it's always great to know what the prob is. good luck.

why are they testing mia? emmy weighs the same. there was no talk of doing any tests on her. so you'll have to let me know what they do/find. i think emmy's just a petite little girl. that's all. :)

have fun with yoga too. most people who do it LOVE it.

as always, you are amazing.

Jenn said...

Hang in there! Being gluten free does get easier! We've been GF for 2.5 years. Anytime you need ideas and recipes, let me know! (dalley.jennifer at gmail dot com)

Melissa said...

Hi, I'm Robin's sister in law and I saw Celiac's and couldn't resist reading. Hope you don't mind.

My sister was dx a few years ago 6 out of 7 of her kids have it, my other sister has 6 kids with it as well... They all say that once the change is made the difference is amazing and totally worth it. I hope your little ones are able to feel well. So good to catch it before things get really bad (it took a long time for my sister to be diagnosed, and she was in really bad shape!)

Good luck with gluten free! We had our kids tested and I was so worried about what a huge change it would be for our family, I think shopping for labeled items is how I'd have to start.

Laurie said...

What! That is crazy that you are doing the yoga training. Does that mean you are not doing the NUT program? Bummer. I am jealous. Good for you. I am happy for you that you are feeling better as well. We should get out and enjoy the weather together.

Suzanne said...

That's rough about the celiac thing. I can't believe it. I have had a lot of stomach aches in my life as well and it is no fun. My sister in law has been tested several times for this because she can hardly eat anything. Good luck figuring out what works for you. Oh, and you'll never guess who I ran into in a random ward in Island Park, ID this weekend. I will email you and tell you about it!

Jen Hinton said...

Michelle... sorry to hear about you illness. That is no fun but at least you know what makes you feel bad so you can avoid it.

I have taken my baby off wheat and I think it makes a huge difference!

Good luck with your yoga! You have such a darling family!!!

Lorena said...

It's crazy how many people are being diagnosed with that nowadays! A bummer to have, but at least now you know what to do to feel well.
I have 4 nephews and a sister-in-law with quite severe celiac disease. They can't even put their bread in the same toaster as my brother or use the same containers. It's like they will get sick if they even look at gluten. Anyway, i'm sure there is all sorts of recipes and stuff on the internet nowadays so you are probably set, but if you do happen to need any tips or recipes let me know and i'll hook you up!
Good luck!

Sally said...

Hi, I am Robin's sister. I am so glad you found out that you have Celiac. Not that having Celiac is great, but being able to treat it and start feeling better is great. I have a good friend who finally was diagnosed and her whole life has changed. Best of luck going gluten-free!

Liz said...

Michelle-I'm so glad you know now and can actually do something about it. What a relief! Good luck. Once you get it down I've heard it's not that hard.