Saturday, July 12, 2014

Update

I just spent the last hour reading through old journal entries I did about my family pre-blog days. I loved it. It has reminded me how important it is to record things. It also reminded me how important it is to be fully present in my day to day life. So I am trying to do better on both accounts.

Summer is in full swing around here. We are swimming, boating, taking trips to the library, reading, playing, and just generally having a good time. It feels really busy. Having all 5 kids home was an adjustment. It just seems like I'm always doing food prep and I'm always doing dishes. Or going to the store for more food. Oh, and I am never alone. Ever. I've really enjoyed having Ashley around more this summer. The middle 3 are in summer camps and for three hours each morning it is just Ashley and Liam with me. We've gone to Barnes and Noble, for runs, shopping, to the pool to swim laps (where I can't keep up), and just hung out. It's been great. Then we head to the pool for fun and come home to do our school (I'm mean), music lessons, and chores. Then I crash. Usually before the kids do. I've really enjoyed running outside and running on trails and hiking. It's been heavenly. I'm still teaching yoga and working at the Endo place. Working 10-15 hours a week doesn't sound like a lot, but it really does feel like a lot. I somehow end up not feeling totally engaged at work because I'm not there enough and I don't feel fully engaged in the at-home world because everyone assumes I'm working. It's been tricky. I haven't figured it out. This summer I haven't been very resilient and I'm hoping to turn that around with practice. And prayer. Lots of prayer.

Ashley is doing great. She turns 12 next week! She had her meeting with the Beehive advisors today and is excited for personal progress and girls camp and dance festival. Her life just got busier. She quit swim team in the spring and I think it was a good move. She has had more time to spend at home with the family and I think that is oh so important at her age. I love her because she is just confident and content with who she is. She doesn't have anything to prove and I admire that in her. She has had her share of heartache over friends, but she always moves forward and is learning to be kind through it all. She starts 7th grade, which is middle school and she is excited to be treated a little more grown up. She really is a lovely person.

Katelyn is my busy girl. She loves to play games, do crafts, sew, jump on the trampoline, make up dances, and be with Haley and Annalise. She loves, loves, loves being with cousins and would move to Utah without me if the opportunity came up. I'd miss her though. She is such a joyful kid and I hope she keeps that with her. She did a movie makers camp this summer and was so fun to watch in her play. She loves that stuff. She made commercials and new casts and thoroughly enjoyed herself. She is my most daring on the boat and can already comfortably slalom. I love it.

Justin is full of life and loves to try new things. He has a hard time sticking with things though. He begged to do baseball this summer and never wants to go. He also begged to do summer camp and never wanted to go. He loves his flexibility. He doesn't want to be tied down to anything. He loves spending time with friends, but his school friend is just so busy this summer. He loves everything that has to do with maintenance - cars, motorcycles, boats. He makes sure we are safe on the boat and loves to hook up the trailer and undo it. He puts the plug in and pulls it out. He drives the boat and is just curious about it all. He bought his first pet, which is a hamster. It promptly died and now he has two disgusting gerbils. He talks my ear off and just loves to be with people. He doesn't do alone.

Mia is busy with gymnastics and piano lessons and playing. She is my best independent player and I love her for that. She also loves to be with friends, but knows how to be alone. She grows bigger everyday. She is a great reader and is making progress through the Book of Mormon. She is just passed halfway. I'm impressed with her ability to stick with it. She is a great friend to Justin and they spend hours together playing. I will miss her when she starts all day first grade in August. Yipes.

Liam is 15 months old. It's hard to believe. He is full on walking now and tries to run. He makes us laugh daily. He is picking up words and talks constantly. He says hi, bye, uh oh, dad, mom, did it, up, dog, and more. He isn't as easy to understand as the other kids were for me, but I can tell that he is trying. He is an easy going toddler and is just so much fun. He loves to be outside of the house and will run around the store. He is my curious kid. He loves to drop stuff into the toilet to see what'll happen. He drops stuff off the loft to see where it will go. He is constantly re-arranging my cupboards and I'll find stuff in the weirdest places. I adore him.

Hans is busy with dentistry and family. We have managed more time together and I love that time. I'm so grateful for our family and for these kids. They are so good and want to do good. Parenting is tricky business, as I feel like I'm passing my own issues onto my kids, but I'm telling them that I'm making mistakes, but doing my best under my circumstances. I hope they don't need too much therapy:)

No comments: